Saturday, April 23, 2011

Blinded by the light






Sayville waterfront. Last Wednesday evening the Patchogue sketch group met at the Sayville waterfront. Unfortunately I was at the wrong side and missed my artist friends. I did the watercolor sketches from my car. There really wasn't much sun light, but the glare of the sky blinded me to everything in the foreground. I continued to sketch and then decided to look to the right and sketch the scene away from the light. Great idea until a car pulled up and blocked my view.
Determined to do an oil from my watercolor sketch, I didn't take a digital photo. The only thing I can say about this painting , is, I kept my promise and didn't work from a photo. In doing this I learned that the first impression is the best. My oil is lacking in so many ways. I tried to recapture the scene that I remembered from that evening. I didn't succeed this time, but I will eventually. All in all I am loving this new adventure that is before me and it is great fun. Happy painting to all. I wish you all a very Happy Easter.




16 comments:

  1. Looks great to me Joan. Love the sky and painting from memory must be very difficult. Well done Joan.

    Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes we are too hard on ourselves, yours turned out great! Even though you had some obstacles to overcome it really came out good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Joan!... Painting outdoors does have its ups n' downs doesn't it! You're absolutely right! Every painting is a learning opportunity... and often the troublesome ones are the real teachers! HAHA!!

    I love the smaller thumbnails! Nice and loose... very painterly and pleasing to the eye!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Sketches and the painting my friend. Absolutely well done, again. All the best Joan.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanie,

    I have been catching up on your posts. Your work is wonderful, I love the interesting skies you are doing. I think you are too critical of your painting, I can't imagine how hard it must be to paint from memory.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful collection of sketches and paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I truly love this painting Joan. The sky is amazing ..the water perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you missed us! You did a great job on this from your side. We could have waved to you.

    I had to start up a new blog. All of a sudden I couldn't upload onto the old one. Come visit me at http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

    You'll have to change my address on your links too...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dors,
    Thank you so much. I will be visiting you later.
    All the best to you.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Novice Artist,

    Thank you so much for the encouragement. Promise to visit your blog.

    all the best to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bruce,

    Thank you for the support. You do know about obstacles during painting plein air. Didn't you have a run in with a very large animal during one or your plein air trips. Must read your previous blog, don't remember if it was a bear, I know it was large.

    Happy painting to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vic,

    Thank you my friend, you are truly supportive and encouraging. I truly appreciate your visits and comments.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Caroline,

    Thank you so much for the visit and encouragement. I am a big fan of your work.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Suzy,
    Thank you and congratulations on the sale of your painting. Looking forward to your next post.

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Hilda,

    Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. I will be visiting your blog soon.

    all the best to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joan,

    Thank you. I was on the other side the previous Sunday. I will post your new blog on my side panel.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete