Monday, April 18, 2011

The Sky Isn't Always Blue


Today was just a study in color. I am still using the 3 primary colors and white. It is still to cold on Long Island to do plein air painting. So I am taking this time to do color studies. The atmospheric conditions on Long Island can vary from very gray dull days to brilliant colorful skies.

Using only the three colors it will be so beneficial to me not to feel like a pack horse when we do venture out. It will lighten my load, 4 tubes, blue, yellow, red and of course white and turps. I am not concerned with composition or structure today, that will come later.
Happy Painting to all.

10 comments:

  1. I find gray days harder to paint - you've captured the atmosphere very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have captured the gray days very well. You're right, not quite warm enough to venture out to draw/sketch/paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I love about the limited pallet is that you can get so many colors but there is so much harmony, as you achieved here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O, yes I am also all for a limited palette, Joan. Your works always give a very peaceful view of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the limited palette!!! Nice studies. Can't wait for a sunny day to get out and paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy,

    Thank you for the visit. I will be visiting your blog soon. Your work as usual is great.

    all the best to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Novice Artist,

    I must come over to your blog. So I can call you by your name. Thank you for the support and kind words.

    All the best to you
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Douglas,

    Thank you so much. I appreciate your comment and encouragement.

    All the best to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marie,

    Thank you for the encouragement. I am going to try to paint only from life. You are one of those great artist that inspire me.

    All the best to you.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joan,

    Thank you. I agree, can't wait to get out there.

    Have a great day,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete