Wednesday, June 22, 2011

In My Own Backyard

I had to stop painting because of rain. I did manage to get an hr. in painting my shed. My shed, the one Mike built is falling apart like Mike and me. But it is one of my favorite subjects to paint, especially when the lilies are in bloom. Couldn't resist adding the clothes line and clothes pins, even though it is seldom used. The second painting was done yesterday. A 5x7 oil, one of the historic building in Sayville. Had a difficult time pulling together, composition and everything about this little painting wasn't to my satisfaction. But all in all bad days painting plein air are just as valuable as good days.

Tomorrow is another life drawing workshop. The ladies that do this workshop work in watercolor as well as those sketching in pencil or charcoal. I would love to achieve figurative painting in watercolor. Practice, Practice, Practice!!! Happy painting everyone. Thank you Bruce Sherman, your tip on painting greens, by adding structure makes the greens easier to paint.

10 comments:

  1. SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Yes, even our own yards can inspire! This would me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Joan!.... I am so pleased to see you plugging on... being unafraid to embrace the lessons that one can receive as much from "failure"... as from success.

    I find both of your "failures"... (not my view) pleasant in colour and overall impression. The very small 5x7 inch format for these paintings is really restrictive in my mind Joan. They encourage fussiness... restricted space for expressive brushwork and can be discouraging to plan and carry out.

    My advice... just an idea ... is to work in a format no smaller than a 10x12 inch panel... where you can stretch your wings, so to speak... and gain the reedom that encourages broader interpretation and brushwork. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joan.
    I like them both. Possibly some more darks in the second painting for a nice punch. Garden sheds can be a good subject, and your one is successful. I like the blue dark area, lovely. keep painting as you are my friend and you will be not only a master but a teacher as well. All the best Joan.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the daylilies against the shed...such a nice feel to it. Nice job on the builing from the Grange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lin,

    Thank you for the visit. I know this weekend is going to great for you. Enjoy.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bruce,

    Thank you so much. After reading your comment I went on line to purchase 9x12 and 11x14 panels. Couldn't find the 10x12. That's okay, looking forward to working on a larger format outdoors. Thank again Bruce.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Vic,

    Thank you so much for the wonderful comment. And thank you for the tip on a little darker tone in the second, I totally agree. I just ordered my last two David Curtis dvds. I will have his entire collection. Happy Painting to you my friend.

    All the best to you,
    Joan
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joan,

    Thank you, couldn't find the group on Tuesday. Will look forward to next week.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joan, I really like the nostalgic feel and your color choices with these two pieces. I think they would look great as a set framed in some nice little baroque frames!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandy,

    Thank you so much for the encouragement and kind words. Your visits are always appreciated.

    all the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete