Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Mr. Webster and Seatuk





Yesterday Mike and I went searching for the Seatuk , know as the Scully Manor. I first became aware of this beautiful place from my friend Joan who posted her lovely painting on her blog. Later I spoke with Sue, another fellow painter and she gave me directions on how to get there.






Long story short, I did this on location, sun in my eyes could not do it justice and will return. As for Mr. Webster, in the 90's he commissioned me to do a portrait of his St. Charles Spaniel, Roxanne. I would go to his estate and sketch Roxanne, and then later painted her portrait. Mr. Webster was the founder of the Seatuk Environmental Society in which his property and that of the Scully Manor are all one. Happy Painting everyone.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Joan.
    This is truly a powerful plein air painting my friend. Well done. I would love to see your portrait of Roxanne Joan, any chance? All the best.
    Vic.
    P.S. I went to see an exhibition of Oil paintings by The Royal institute of Oil Painters today. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sepia ink is great for the look of Seatuck. Funny about the connection to it. I love the sketches of your treasures below this too. I will probably be taking some of my ornaments off my tree to sketch them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to do more sketching, work looser and experimenting with Sepia ink, so this really touches the spot for me. Love it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and love this sepia painting, Joan!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely painting Joan and what a place. Congratulations on the commission of Rozanne.

    Looking forward to more when you go back to paint there again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Samantha,

    Thank you so much. I will visit your blog shortly.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vic,

    Thank you, and sorry to say I cannot find my album with Roxanne's portrait. Hopefull I will find it over the next few weeks. I am taking a break my friend. I will email you.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joan,

    Thank you, I am so into the sepia ink. They are great fun.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,

    Oh, yes, just love the sepia water soluble inks. Such fun.
    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hilda,

    Thank you so much.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Doreen,

    Thank you, yes, Seatuk is a lovely place.

    all the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete