Friday, August 24, 2012

Back On Course

East Islip Marina
5x7 oil on panel, 1hr. study
5x7 oil on canvas panel, lhr. study
5x7 plein air on card stock, gouache
5x7 oil on panel, 1hr. study

Where has the time gone?  September is just around the corner.  I hope everyone is enjoying their  summer, with family, friends, and of course painting.  Even though I haven't posted on my blog, I have been enjoying all of your latest work on my side panel.  I took up the challenge of painting 1hr. paintings, in between my other studies.
It is quite interesting to realize how long an hour can be, especially when painting small formats like the 5x7.  But some how I also achieved the same working on larger 11x14 pieces as well.  The trick is, not to think, just paint, actually, I love it, not thinking, it comes quite natural to me.

Kevin Mac Pherson recommends doing these quickies in his book.  A fellow artist on Long Island reminded me on Facebook to give it a try, hence, here are my studies, warts and all. But I love doing these, so it doesn't really matter.  Also it's a great learning tool, it's a way of possibly planning for a larger paining in the future.  Well that's about it folks.  Happy Painting to all of my fellow bloggers.  Oh, I actually met Hilda, okay must look up the spelling of her last name, I will write more about this in a future post.
Pastels by H.Muxo, real life blogger in person, could not believe we met.  She is a wonderful artist and a wonderful person.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that first one really wants to come to my house - I'm setting just out of sight watching the waves go by. I'm so glad you and Hilda shared a moment. Thanks for sharing this great exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudy,

      Thank you and yes it was wonderful to actually meet a fellow blogger. What amazes me, is that what we all share feel about one another is spot on, Hilda is exactly what she appears to be in both her work and words. She's a lovely person.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. It's SO wonderful to see your paintings again, Joan! Although I love all four, the first one caught my eye
    immediately! I felt the breeze pass my face!! I have to admit, I still smile when I think of you and I meeting at the Art show! It's amazing to me that I knew it was you just by looking at your paintings...I'm so happy to have met you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda, thank you. I still think of our meeting. It felt has though we are old friends. I am also happy to have met you, my blogger friend.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Joan! I got up very early to go to the printers ... but saw your posting... it has set me up for the day ... I shall go with a smile on my face. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Thank you for the lovely comment. Hope you enjoyed you day at the printers. I must pay you blog a visit. Where has the time gone?

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  4. Good Morning Joan!... The top and bottom pieces are my favourites! Both have a fresh painterly quality... but are full paintings in there own right... no matter the size or time taken to make them!

    Others are just practice... that is the price of using the one hour study... run-fore-the-sun as I refer to them! But the process is a good teaching device... as these paintings clearly demonstrate!
    Good Painting!

    Hilda shares your fire. Glad that you had the opportunity to meet her!ce
    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce,

      Thank you for the visit and encouragement. It was great meeting Hilda, she is so talented and a wonderful person.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  5. I love all of these Joan but that first one really has me feeling the breeze and smelling the salt air. And how fabulous to meet up with Hilda ... I hope you girls get the opportunity to meet again real soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Thank you for the lovely comment and yes, it was wonderful meeting Hilda. She approached me and said Hi, we know each other, my name is Hilda. It was a moment that had me confused, knew the name but not the face. Needless to say, when she mentioned her blog, the screams and hugs had people looking at us. I actually hope we meet again.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  6. Dear Joan, fantastic! These studies are so fluid to look at, so naturally out of your hands ... like ALL your work (including gouache).
    I love it all!
    Three times I have met in real life three Blog-friends and I must say that the similarity between Blog and Person is perfect ! I'm sure it was GREAT to meet Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita,
      Thank you and yes, you are so right, Blog and Person are one and the same. We bloggers all become friends without really knowing much about each other. But we do know the core of one another which is so very real. We are all kindred spirits. All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  7. Hola Joan, de vuelta de vacaciones me entusiasma visitar tu blog y ver esos paisajes tan preciosos.

    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your works are very expressive and powerful. Beautiful and triumphant work.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rosa, All the best to you.
      Joan

      Delete
    3. Thank you Shelley, all the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  8. Thank you lampros, all the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete