Friday, February 22, 2013

Recent studies

Tulips 5x7 gouache study
5x7 oil sketch 
Today's plein air
Yesterday was a day of trying to get back to my life without the little ones.  It's always difficult when they leave.  But time was of the essence, the tulips didn't have too much longer and it was necessary to get back to work.  This was a warm up of a quick sketch in gouache on illustration board.

Today, it was plein air and time to get out there before the snow melts.  Trust me, not in the mood to paint snow but once again time was of the essence. The snow won't be with us too much longer.  Mike listened to John Grisham's The Racketeer and I painted from the car, still to cold to go out.  I called these little sketches my short hand notes for when I return to the studio.

I am also changing my blog as you noticed.  My daily journal blog will have my other favorite artist listed on the side bar.  I don't want to leave anyone out, there are so many of you that I have a profound admiration for your work.  I also wanted to share with all of you, the artist that are listed on facebook.

So until then, Happy Painting Everyone.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these tulips! Love how you simplified the shapes of the blooms and leaves and put those dark slashes in for the stems. Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia,

      So happy to have you visit my blog. Thank you for the encouraging words. I have noticed your beautiful work and I will visit you shortly.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. Good morning Joan (and Mike)... Nice studies... both! Good to see you working "all the angles"... inside and out! Always good to store materials... and ideas for a blustery day!

    That is the value of these shorthand studies! Good luck with them!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce,

      Thank you and yes, I enjoy these short studies so much and hopefully I will be able to do larger paintings from these.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete