Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Today's Outing

Miller's Pond 6x8 oil
Miller's Pond 6x8 oil

Mike and I enjoyed a pleasant time at Miller's Pond.  Nature is cooperating by  treating us with just a dusting of snow.  Perfect for the winter scene I wanted to paint.  Sitting in the car, Mike listened to John Grisham's  The Racketeer and I happily sat there and  painted the scene at hand.  Everything was so gray and very little color so I warmed up things a bit with ochre's and raw sienna.  I did start out with toned canvases which is always a great help to expedite the painting process.  Also I used texture paste and gesso mixture , my good friend Vic knows about this technique.

After the painting session, which I am very pleased at the progress I am making, simply because the paintings are getting closer to completion while on location.  Practice for the plein air of spring and summer.  Well after the painting we went to Trader Joe's and we purchased beautiful flowers for possibly painting for tomorrow.

I do hope everyone is enjoying these days of February and staying warm and happily painting.



10 comments:

  1. These two paintings are SO beautiful Joan....I love the "gray" Winter scenes but by adding those ochre's and raw sienna it made it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda,

      Thank you for the encouraging words. I do believe we will be getting more snow, if that is the case I will go out there again. Love your latest post, will be over to your blog shorty.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. Yes they are beautiful--and they do look complete to me. I'm curious as to how long the session was? And give your husband a hug. Mine would never wait in the car as I paint. Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      It is so good to have you visit my blog. Thank you so much for the lovely comment. I will give Mike a hug, he is in the kitchen as I write. He's cooking chicken cutlet parm. for dinner.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda, I forgot to mention, it was a 2hr. session, they were little paintings 6x8 canvases. So it went fast.

      Thanks again, take care.

      Delete
  3. Good evening Joan and Mike!... What a tag team! Good on you both... for getting "out there!" I like both. You are adding the missing warm colour that you love... you own the power to do that! Go for it Guys!

    Good (winter) Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Bruce,

      Thank you for the visit and encouragement on my little paintings. It was so gray and yes it was necessary to add a little warmth.

      Stay warm and I will look forward to your next post.
      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  4. Hi Joan.
    Ditto to all above my friend. What can I say but, Lovely,lovely and lovely both. I also love your photo`s of you in your car. And mike with you? fantastic. You know where he is then eh? Great Idea also painting from your ipod. I have a screen that I put my photo card in and it comes up like your Ipod, only bigger. Well done joan and all the best to you both.Good on you Mike.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend, thank you so much for your constant support and encouragement. Vic what kind of screen do you have, sounds interesting, is it a tablet or your laptop. It does help working from this new technology doesn't it beat photos?

      Take care, all the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  5. joan beautiful plein air work esp love the bottom one ...you sound pleased

    ReplyDelete