Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day's End

4x6 arcylic on RayMar canvas panel
I like to complete my day with a posting if possible.  Today was very laid back, in fact, downright lazy day.  My studio is now my dining room, table filled with photo's taken of our plein air sites. With another winter event taking place outside my dining room window, my job at hand is creating little 4x6 postcard canvases to be displayed at our yearly Artist Market show at the Brush Barn in Smithtown.  I realize that most of my painting are of  very similar scenes.  This of course is another angle of  Short Beach .  Even though they are basically the same subject my palette of color are different.  Today it was the primary colors and white, that was my challenge at hand, to create various tones and natural colors. Working on a canvas panel created a different appearance as compared to the media boards posted previously. Also laying in glazes over dry paint, usually my method is wet into wet, so that was a fun technique.

As you can see, I am getting long winded so please don't worry about reading what is written.  Hope you all had a wonderful day, as I write the snow and rain are hitting the window.  Will spring ever come, oh, yes, soon, we are in March after all!!

Happy Painting everyone.

7 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your new paintings, Joan. I love how the light is hitting the water..so beautiful. I think your landscapes get better with every piece you do. This one is very painterly...something I need to learn how to do..LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda, thank you but gotta say, don't change a thing about your style it is great.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. Hi Joan.
    you wouldn`t believe it but my comment for this one is on your previouse painting. I had already commented on that one so you have an extra comment. This one is also great Joan. Don`t forget what I said in my extra commenmt about commenting. All the best my friend.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend,
      Thank you for the extra comment/ I feel so much better about your previous comment. Hope you are having a great day. It is still very cold here on Long Island. We are supposed to get warmer temps tomorrow. Maybe some outdoor painting will be possible. Take care.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  3. Hi there Joan!... Great ideas to chase winter... and cabin fever away! Those little 4x6's if created... thoughtfully... will catch a lot of attention.

    The fact that they depict known and recognizable scenes further in crease the possiblility for sales. Good luck with the project.

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce,

      Thank you for the visit and support. It's true, people do like to purchase paintings of places they have been. Mike has always told me to paint what people can relate to, so that is what I have been doing.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  4. I love the light in this painting!

    ReplyDelete