Friday, August 16, 2013

The Plein Air Competition

The last painting done at the Planting Fields before closing, I did this in one hour.
Friday, opening day of the competition at the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay
The Play House, I mostly wanted to paint this charming little cottage, this is where the Coe's grandchildren played. the manor house and grounds were owned by the Coe family.  Mike actually did a tour of the house and got all the historical facts while I painted. 
Almost complete, it was a thrill to be able to complete a  plein air sketch on locations.  That was the rule, it was a two day event and all work had to be completed on location.
This was the painting selected by the judge to be hung in the Oyster Bay Historical Society building for the judging of all painting selected,  I did not win one of the three awards, first $1000. and $750. in art supplies, the second $350. in art supplies, and the third $250.  I didn't win, but I feel as though just being among the 35 artist selected for the event was a great honor.
The Play House , there is another that I manage to almost complete with an hour and a half before the closing of the competition

12 comments:

  1. A magical cottage, and a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marie, thank you so much for the visit and kind words.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. Joan - I can see why you would want to paint that cottage - it is beautiful and in my opinion you should have won - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Debbie,

      You are very kind and I truly appreciate the encouragement. It was a joy just being there and the cottage was truly magical. Thank you for the visit.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  3. I love this cottage, Joan ...and yes, you should have won! I love it....I read about the competition in the newspaper and thought you might be there! It looks like an absolute perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hilda,
      How are you doing my friend, I will be visiting your blog, noticed the lovely portrait of Courtney, great work.

      Thank you for the wonderful compliment it was a wonderful competition, I had a ball, just being with such extraordinary painters. Hope to see you soon. Take care.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  4. Hi Joan.
    Glad to see you are back my friend. All lovely paintings but this one is my favourite. Also it`s lovely to see you out painting. I went out yesterday with Harry and did an oil sketch, not bad but the bonus was that it was the first time since my accident, and it made me feel great. All the best Joan.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear friend Vic, it is so good to be back. But best of all is that YOU are back to painting with Harry. Love the oil sketch you did and so happy you are feeling well enough to paint.

      all the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  5. Hi Joan, I'm back again (again)!

    The cottage is very 'Fairy Tale' I love it.

    It's not all about winning though is it? To get recognised by the 'experts' is the real mark of both quality and success ... both of which are always present in your work, congratulations

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear John,
      Thank you so much for the lovely comment, it was indeed very exciting for me, very unexpected. It was a joy painting the little cottage and the Manor House was magnificent. I expected to see the lord of the manor step out any minute. As you can tell I love Downton Abbey, can't wait for season 4.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  6. What a neat little cottage. Well painted! I love plein air painting and paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Douglas,

      Good to see you and thank you for the encouragement and very kind words. It was truly a magical cottage and I do want to return and paint other lovely gardens and buildings.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete