Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Frozen Pond

Frozen Pond
Taking the advice of my fellow bloggers, didn't paint plein air.  Did the second best thing, took photo's of a beautiful place Brightwaters Bayshore.  There is a lovely hamlet of magnificent homes and frozen pond with little white bridges.  Took so many shots, even hockey players, that I will do in the future.  I worked from my ipad, closest thing to painting from life.  Happy we went out on the photo shoot on Sunday, because Monday all the snow was gone.  The temps have been frigid on Long Island, so until it gets a bit warmer I am housebound, working from my sketches and photos.  Also I will be doing some still life paintings.

All in all it is great practice no matter what the reference is, as long as we have a brush or pencil in hand we are happy.  Happy Painting to all.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there Joan!... A nice warm winter sketch with lovely light and quiet mood! You are more than right in saying... that sometimes a plein air photo shoot makes more sense than creating a punishing experience! Choose your days... and paint wherever your heart feels most comfortable. Enjoyment of painting is the goal. No special medals for plein air bravery / stupidity are awarded! HA HA!!!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bruce for the visit and your encouraging words. I agree with you on the plein air bravery'stupidity. I am actually enjoying painting my little winter scenes in the comfort of my studio. Today, I think it will be some sketches in my journal. Happy Painting to you Bruce.

    All the best to you,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this one. Great composition and color.

    ReplyDelete