Saturday, August 23, 2014

What's Next?

Peconic River, oil on mdf panel
Stony Brook, plein air oil sketch plein air
House on the Lane  wip
oil on mdf board, plein air
Sunken Meadow
18x24 acrylic
My most recent work, from this summer.  Who said, the more you know the less you know? After working on my art this summer, I realize that this feeling is coming over me, that I want to learn more about painting and of course, want to develop my drawing skills.  There is no end to this wonderful journey that we are on as artist, mean to say, no end to learning.

This summer we have painted in so many locations on Long Island, but there is something missing.  I keep asking myself, What's Next?.. I think the answer for me is to start with life drawing workshops, long and short poses.  In the meantime I will continue landscape painting, but also want to go back to still life work as well, it's endless.

Don't want to stay in a comfort zone where it's too easy to produce the same old, same old work.  It is time for a change. Happy Painting everyone.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Joan!... A nice brace of plein air sketches! All solid! Good luck with the new art adventures that you are moving towards.

    We all need new focuses from time to time to light a fire under us - that's a good thing! But we all must settle down to and try to advance the genre that feeds our soul. That's where our heart is... and that's where our creative spirit will grow to its fullest potential.

    Good luck with it!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce, once again you have hit the nail on the head. I so appreciate your input, you are so right about advancing the genre that feeds my soul. Oh, yes I love plein air painting and landscapes, but I also love still life paintings. But I am in awe of the beauty of nature, and yes, that feeds my soul.

      Thank you again,
      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. Hi my friend.
    Joan, all brilliant paintings but my favourite is the first one, Paconic River. That`s brilliant. But i like them all. All the best Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear friend,
      Thank you for liking my Peconic River, had my doubts about that one, but it seems it's a big hit even on face book. But I appreciate your opinion on my work, I value it, so once again, thank you.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  3. The four paintings are fantastic, Joan .... I LOVE the Peconic River....definitely a favorite ...peaceful and those glorious reflections in the water from the trees and skies are a winner!!! Nassau Community College is offering a drawing class that I'm thinking of going to... it's at 6:30pm but I'm not a night person so I really have to think about it.. drawing is something I think is so important in order to get a good painting. So yes, I agree...it's a good thing to do something out of our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda, my friend, it seems that the Peconic River may be my selection to enter an up and coming show. You, Vic and Bruce are truly helpful. By the way, starting in September, there will be life drawing workshops, just the last 2 Thursdays of the month. It will be at Brookwood Hall, in East Islip. I wish you lived closer, we could do that together.

      Oh, well in the meantime enjoy your family and have a great Labor Day.

      Joan

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful body of work and what an incredibly inspiring post!! It really made me think about how I approach my work...always with a feeling of not knowing enough but never a desire to learn more! Wonderful words and beside enjoying your work, I learned something! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suz,
      Thank you for the wonderful comment and I am honored that you consider my post something you can learn from. I have always considered you an example of a remarkable courageous , not only super talented lady. You are my inspiration.
      Thank you again.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete