Friday, December 12, 2014

JMW Turner via David Dunlop

5x7 watercolor hot press 
Studying Turner

Have had the good fortune to receive my Christmas gift early this year.
My children gave me the wonderful gift of  David Dunlop's Landscape
Through Time Season 2.  David goes back  to the days of JMW Turner,
Sargent, Whistler and Guardi in Venice, also the Hudson River painters and
there methods of painting in watercolor and oil.

I have learned about watercolor paper and how they made it erasable  their method was
bathing the paper in glue and then hanging it to dry.  David also teaches , simply by coating
the hot press watercolor paper with Acrylic varnish and several methods can achieve the same
erasable affect.  Also simply purchasing Yupo paper I was told does the same.

While still working and studying these new techniques I look forward to the next
step and apply the similar approach to my oil painting.

With the arrival of cold weather plein air painting will be something to do on nicer days,
but I have the winter months to study and create in my studio.
So Happy Painting dear bloggers.

6 comments:

  1. Hi my friend.
    I like these two Joan. Especially the top one. And your Man and Dog painting is excellent. Just how I like a Watercolour painting. My you are coming along fast. all the best Joan.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend, still trying to find my niche. I love doing everything, and learning as much as I can. I appreciate your visit and very kind words. Hope you are feeling better.

      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. LOVE the first painting, Joan......it's just such a calming painting...Sitting by the rocks right now enjoying the sounds of the waterfalls would be wonderful !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hilda, thank you for the visit and as always the encouragement that you give me. At this time of the year there is so much hustle and bustling that it is difficult to concentrate on major works of art. So hence the play and experiments. Take care my friend and all the best to you and your family.

      Delete
  3. What beautiful paintings. I love the way you captured the filtered light.
    I stood and cried in front of a Turner watercolor once. Never forgotten it and have used a bit of Chinese white ever since. Love his use of the transparent and opaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, when I read your comment about Turners work and the affect it had on you, reminds me of what David Dunlop said of Turner. Turner as a young man cried when he saw the works of I think, don't quote me on this, but possible Corot. He felt he could never be that good of an artist. So you and Turner have the same sensitivity to the work of such masters.
      Thank you for the visit. All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete