Wednesday, March 22, 2017

To Use Mdf board or not?

Oil on mdf just a study

I recently purchased white panel board, with is basically painted mdf board.  It is wonderful to paint on after the surface is slightly sanded and gesso is appliced.  I was told that it isn't wise to paint on mdf board it lacks archival or it simply won't stand the test of time.  I did some research on my own only to find that there are so many artist who Paints on mdf, professional artist, such as Roger Bansemer, Peter Brown, a large number of British artist that I follow.
So this can be a bit confusing.  The truth be told, in my case, I don't believe that I need to concern myself with that issue.  But it was interesting to hear this from an artist who has worked in a museum and has seen fine pieces of art crumble. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts, Joan. I have no idea about MDF. I always paint on canvas because that's all I know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      I posted the video, by Roger Bansemer. It turns out that it is masonite. I am still researching all of this. Thank you for visit and a sharing what you use.
      All the best to you,
      Joan

      Delete
  2. Hi Joan, I think I can answer a few of your questions and add some to the confusion, ha ha.
    MDF is not archival, if it gets wet it will swell and delaminates with a texture like oatmeal. Personally I have never understood why anyone would want to paint/work on what is basically chipboard or glue board? I have seen and it’s been stated that Masonite and any other wood substrates would also have a problem with moisture, which I use those….. So I believe why people use the MDF is they figure just don’t let it get wet? Also I think that here is a confusion between MDF and MDO (medium density overlay) which is archival and is what many iconic plein-air artists use. (Kevin Macpherson) Anyway I am not attracted to the material at all, you can get a lien or canvas panel fairly reasonable priced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,
      Thank you so much for sharing. I have just posted a video by Roger Bansemer. That is what I have purchase. It is white panel board. I guess masonite and mdf is different. On with more research. I also enjoyed you post on both you blog and website. Very inspirational. I will get to work today. I'll be doing the thumbnail sketches in my sketch books. Thanks again Jim. All the best to you. Joan

      Delete
  3. Your paintings are always so wonderful !!!
    Wish you beautiful springtime !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art- Traveleller thank you for the lovely comment. A a very beautiful springtime to you. all the best, Joan

      Delete