Monday, July 3, 2017

Overwhelmed in Paradise

 Mike and I went to the Planting Fields Arboretum for some plein air painting.  We walked through the gardens which were breathtaking.  The colors the the little cottages.  and mansion, were all . calling to me to set up and paint.
 Well, that was the problem.  Mike took this photo of me, while telling me don't to forget to squint. Biggest problem in painting is seeing the correct tones.
Also painting in the summer there's so much green. So we walked and walked the summer sun beginning to take it's toll on us.
 We walked past the trellis and lovely flowers, and continued to look for the perfect location.
 So, I settled and decided to paint the little cottage . Well maybe.
 Love the shadows on the gravel path.
 Here are the two paintings that I ended up doing.  The one above started at the gardens and the one  below from one of my photos.  Not happy with either one. So all of this will just go into one of many memories of Mike and me on the journey to painting plein air.  Mike doesn't paint, he reads the history magazines on the kindle.
I do hope everyone is enjoying the summer and for us the states we have July4th holiday.  Happy painting everyone.

2 comments:

  1. These two paintings are beautifully painted Joan!! I love the first one..only because I love barns and little cottages in paintings... Wonderful greens as well. Enjoy your 4th !!!!! Bayport is having a huge arts festival....I wish I could make it but I'll be in Massapequa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, these are so beautiful. I love the one with the cottage, the kind of painting I like..
    We both still wear hoop earrings..lol. I still do, everyday.

    ReplyDelete